Three New Storage Offerings Deliver Value, Capacity and Performance
Jakarta, October 18, 2012 — Seagate Technology (NASDAQ:STX) today announced three new enterprise-class hard disk drives (HDD) optimized for traditional data centers and emerging cloud infrastructures.
Perfect for cloud bulk data storage, the Seagate® Enterprise Value HDD provides up to 3TB of storage in a low-power configuration that is perfect for efficiently and affordably storing the ever-growing amount of unstructured data typically stored in the cloud. The company also announced its next generation of highly-reliable hard disk drives, the Seagate® Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD featuring the industry’s widest range of capacities (1, 2, 3 and 4TB) of secure data storage for robust data center usage and the Seagate® Enterprise Performance 10K HDD which delivers best-in-class performance and built-in security for optimized storage efficiency and data protection.
“Anyone building storage systems today, whether for cloud specific applications or enterprise data centers, is looking to maximize capacity in the smallest possible physical footprint with the lowest operating costs while ensuring long-term scalability,” said Scott Horn, Seagate vice president of Marketing. “Our new line of Enterprise hard drives meet this challenge, providing the highest capacity-to-power ratios while ensuring consistent performance and high reliability, making them ideal for use in any data center environment.”
Seagate Enterprise Value HDD— Affordability Meets Capacity
With up to 3TB of data storage, the Seagate Enterprise Value HDD, also known as the Constellation® CS, provides cloud data centers with the scalable affordability they need to meet demands in low workload, 24×7 replicated environments. The most economical Seagate Enterprise platform for storing exabytes of unstructured data in the cloud, the Enterprise Value HDD provides enterprise-class reliability and 7200-RPM performance for 24×7 multi-drive data center environments where low power usage and secure, easy drive disposal is needed.
Seagate Enterprise Value HDD features:
- High Capacity— A range of high capacities (1, 2 and 3TB) in a 3.5-inch form factor, supporting a maximum rack density of 114TB per sq. foot for efficient data center floor space usage
- Energy-Efficient— Reduced energy and cooling costs with the lowest power consumption of any Seagate Enterprise 3.5-inch drive and as much as 29 percent less power consumption than competitive high-capacity enterprise drivesEasy-to-Integrate— Quick and simple drive retirement or disposal at no additional cost— Seagate®Instant Secure Erase reduces data erasure times from hours or days to 1 second with a proven 6Gb/s SATA interface for easy integration in lower workload solutions
For more information on the Seagate Enterprise Value HDD and cloud application usage scenarios please visit Seagate’s cloud solutions web portal at www.seagate.com/solutions/cloud
Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD— Highest Capacity, Consistent Performance
The 6th-generation of the Seagate® Enterprise Capacity 3.5 hard drive, also known as the Constellation® ES.3, offers the largest enterprise capacities (up to 4TB) for reliable bulk data access and consistent 24×7 performance in robust, high workload, multi-drive data center environments.
Seagate Enterprise 3.5 HDD features:
- Highest Capacity— A range of high capacities (1, 2, 3 and 4TB) in a 3.5-inch, 7200-RPM enterprise-class hard disk drive for maximum rack density of 152TB per sq. foot for efficient data center floor space usage
- Enterprise Reliability— Robust data availability thanks to super parity features, 4th-generation SAS interface for high data integrity, 1.4M hour MTBF and enhanced multi-drive, rotational vibration tolerance for consistent 24×7 enterprise performance
- Efficiency— Seagate’s RAID Rebuild for faster data recovery, choice of 6Gb/s SAS or SATA interfaces for easy integration; high GB/Watt for improved power and cooling in large RAID solutions plus the Seagate® PowerChoice™ feature for increased power savings during idle periods; multi-drive firmware maximized for enterprise RAID system availability and efficient high capacity storage performance
- Security— 3rd-generation Self-Encrypting Drive technology, SED FIPS U.S. federal government approved security option and Seagate Instant Secure Erase for easy drive disposal or repurposing
Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD — Optimum Performance, Maximum Security
A 2.5-inch, 10K-RPM enterprise hard disk drive, the new Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD, also known as the Savvio® 10K.6, meets the growing need for increased enterprise storage efficiency and built-in security to protect valuable data. An ideal replacement drive for power-hungry, lower capacity, 3.5-inch 15K-RPM HDDs or slower performing 2.5-inch 10K-RPM HDDs, the Enterprise Performance 10K HDD enables data centers to meet demanding service-level agreements, keep pace with massive data growth, and reduce IT operating costs.
The Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD delivers up to 21 percent faster performance than the prior generation and matches the sustained data transfer rates found in 15K-RPM, 3.5-inch drives. This drive offers up to 900GB of storage in a small form factor, which is 50 percent more capacity using 70 percent less space than the highest capacity 3.5-inch 15K drive. It also delivers a staggering power consumption reduction of up to 71 percent compared to 15K-RPM, 3.5-inch drives and up to 14 percent compared to the prior generation.
The Enterprise Performance 10K HDD has security built-in – at no extra cost for OEMs, system builders and integrators. When used as self-encrypting drives, these devices enable companies to avoid notifying customers of the risk of data breaches should encrypted drives be lost or stolen. Additionally, the Seagate Instant Secure Erase feature dramatically reduces the amount of time and effort needed to retire drives – from many hours or days to less than 1 second.
The Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD FIPS Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) (available with 900GB capacity only) is currently in review with the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for FIPS 140-2 Level-2 certification and is expected to be available by mid-2013. Seagate FIPS SED drives are the only hard drives to be certified as FIPS 140-2 compliant. The Enterprise Performance 10K HDD FIPS SED drive provides U.S. federal government-grade security options that enable companies to protect valuable data, comply with regulatory mandates, and reduce risk to brand and reputation.
Seagate is a world leader in hard disk drives and storage solutions. Learn more at www.seagate.com.
© 2012 Seagate Technology LLC. All rights reserved. Seagate, Seagate Technology, the Wave logo, Constellation and Savvio are trademarks or registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. When referring to drive capacity, one gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes and one terabyte, or TB, equals one thousand billion bytes. Your computer’s operating system may use a different standard of measurement and report a lower capacity. In addition, some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions and will not be available for data storage. Actual data rates may vary depending on operating environment and other factors. The export or re-export of hardware or software containing encryption may be regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (for more information, visit www.bis.doc.gov) and controlled for import and use outside of the U.S. Seagate reserves the right to change, without notice, product offerings or specifications.
 Footnote: Based on maximum use of multiple 3.5-inch HDDs in a standard 19-inch rack
Leave a Reply